Jeff Brown Achievement and Enterprise Award
The Jeff Brown Achievement and Enterprise Award
All pupils from years 4, 5 and 6 in the Secondary School at Moffat Academy are invited to apply for The Jeff Brown Achievement and Enterprise Award (JBAEA). The recipient of this award would receive up to £500 from the Jeff Brown Awards Trust (JBAT) to contribute to the cost of an activity, experience, or opportunity in which they would like to participate and which they feel would contribute positively to their future career. Some examples might include (but are not limited to) post-secondary education such as university, college or an apprenticeship, a summer school in music, dance, drama or art, participation in a sporting event or sports training, travel, or a project abroad, community service, a small business proposal or even taking an idea to the Dragon’s Den. All well-presented ideas will be given due consideration.
Previous recipients of this award may not re-apply for the award.
A selection committee has been formed to review all applications for this award and the following criteria will be considered when evaluating each application form:
- value of experience/opportunity to be gained
- commitment to proposed experience
- academic achievement
- involvement and leadership in school and community activities
- previous awards and recognition
- employment history
- financial need
- personal attributes
Conditions of Application:
1. Application forms will be available on the school website to download and print.
2. The application form may be handwritten, typed, or completed on a word processor, or may take another form of media presentation such as video or DVD. All the questions on the application must be answered for the application to be considered.
3. All application forms should be completed and returned to the school office by Friday, January 13, 2023.
Terms and Conditions of the Award:
1. The recipient of the award will be selected by a committee of trustees/staff working at Moffat Academy. The decision made by the selection committee will be final.
2. The winner of the award will be notified by March 31, 2023.
3. The award will be presented formally to the recipient at the annual Secondary Awards Night.
4. The recipient must provide written notification to the Trustees within 14 days of the Awards Night, that he/she wishes to accept/decline the award and that he/she will abide by the Terms and Conditions of the award.
5. The completion of the application forms for the ‘event’, organisation of travel to and from the proposed ‘event’, and accommodation (if required), are the sole responsibility of the recipient.
6. Any fees/costs incurred by participating in the ‘event’ including (but not limited to) travel, accommodation, meals, equipment, and insurance, over the amount of the JBAEA, are the responsibility of the recipient.
7. When available or possible, all arrangements should be insured.
8. Any alterations to the proposed ‘event’ would need approval of the selection committee prior to funding being released.
9. If the ‘event’ is cancelled, all refunded monies must be returned to the Trustees of the JBAT.
10. If the recipient is unable to attend the ‘event’ due to ill health, a medical certificate will be required to support the reasons for your withdrawal and the documentation delivered to Moffat Academy School Office within 5 business days. In this circumstance, all money paid will be required to be refunded to the Trust within 14 days of the recipient becoming aware that he/she will not be able to attend the ‘event’ unless alternative arrangements for the ‘event’ have been approved by the Trustees at their sole discretion.
11. The Trustees have a duty to protect the JBAT it administers and will take all steps to recover any unused, misused, or refunded monies. The Trustees have the right not the pay an award in full or to reclaim the full cost of the award if the person concerned fails to meet all the terms on which the award was awarded.
12. The winner will be required to report to the school on the value of their experience either in writing or as an oral presentation within a calendar year of the experience concluding.
13. The Board of Trustees of the JBAT reserve the right not to make an award if there are not any applications of sufficient merit or value.